MMO1662 - Medieval or post-medieval field boundary east of Beggar's Knap (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A medieval or post-medieval field boundary is visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs, to the east of Beggar's Knap. Centred on SS 8276 4690, the boundary encloses an approximately rectangular area measuring 120 metres wide by 100 metres long. It crosses both sides of a steep valley above Met Combe and measures approximately 100 metres across. It would appear to be a stock enclosure or similar, and is not shown on the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map. [1-3]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 540/910 3116 (17 October 1952).
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <3>XY SMO7549 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 84 NW. MD002166. [Mapped feature: #32652 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8276 4694 (157m by 129m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||PORLOCK, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1460690 (Pastscape entry: 1460690)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 NW100
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1460690
Record last edited
May 29 2019 10:05AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.