MMO1661 - Medieval or post-medieval field boundaries at Raw Combe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A number of medieval or post-medieval field boundaries are visible as earthworks on aerial photographs enclosing a valley known as Raw Combe to the east of Hollowcombe Wood. A single continuous boundary surrounds the Combe. At the south western end of the boundary, it turns 90 degrees and runs downslope. Within the enclosed area, at SS 8134 4703, a second, rectangular enclosure is visible. Only three sides of this enclosure are visible, but it appears to measure approximately 40 metres wide, and could be the remains of a stock enclosure. A fourth boundary, at SS 8121 4700 runs approximately southeast to northwest. The area around the Combe is shown as moorland on both the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map and modern maps, indicating that it was abandoned prior to the publication of this map. The field system appears to represent a failed enclosure attempt of this area; however further study will be required to establish a precise date. [1-3]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 540/910 3111 17-OCT-1952.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <3> SEM7608 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1963. 6 Inch Map: 1963.
- <4> SMO7549 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 84 NW. MD002166.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8131 4701 (384m by 351m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||OARE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1460682 (Original Monarch entry: 1460682)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 NW99
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1460682
Record last edited
Jul 22 2013 1:44PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.