MMO1660 - Possible Bronze Age barrow west of Lillycombe House (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A small circular mound visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs taken in the 1950s to the west of Lillycombe House is possibly the remains of a Bronze Age round barrow. The mound is centred on SS 82055 47347 and measures approximately 10 metres in diameter. On later photographs it is not visible due to expansion of the buildings at Lillycombe House. It is likely that the building work has destroyed any trace of the mound. [1-5]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/72065 127 (15 April 1972).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 540/910 3113 (17 October 1952).
- <3> SEM7608 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1963. 6 Inch Map: 1963.
- <4> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <5>XY SMO7549 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 84 NW. MD002166. [Mapped feature: #46118 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8205 4734 (18m by 15m)|
|Civil Parish||OARE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1460670 (Pastscape entry: 1460670)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 NW98
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1460670
Record last edited
Aug 23 2021 1:54PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.