MMO1659 - Medieval or post-medieval ridge and furrow west of Lillycombe House (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A large area of ridge and furrow is visible as earthworks on aerial photographs in two fields to the west of Lillycombe House, indicating this area was under cultivation in the medieval or post-medieval period. In the northern field, the ridge and furrow runs in slightly curved lines in an approximately north to south direction covering an area of approximately 2.7 hectares. In the smaller southern field, the ridge and furrow runs east to west in relatively straight lines covering an area of approximately 1.7 hectares. In both fields the ridges are fairly narrow, measuring between 3 and 5 metres wide. Both fields are shown at their existing dimensions on the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map, indicating that they predate the publication of this map. [1-3]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 540/853 3003 (29 August 1952).
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <3>XY SMO7549 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 84 NW. MD002166. [Mapped feature: #32654 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8183 4732 (276m by 324m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||OARE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1460662 (Pastscape entry: 1460662)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 NW97
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1460662
Record last edited
May 29 2019 9:56AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.