MMO1649 - Post-medieval field system above Deddy Combe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Several field boundaries of probable post-medieval date are visible on aerial photographs as a series of earthworks on a steep north facing slope above Deddy Combe. The boundaries, centred at circa SS 8082 4751 run in a north to south direction downslope and appear to form roughly rectangular enclosures, covering an area of approximately 7 hectares. They are not shown on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map, suggesting that they had gone out of use by this time, and therefore probably represent a pre 19th Century attempt at enclosure. [1-3]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/72065 082 (15 April 1972).
- <2> SEM6705 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1896. County Series, First Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1890.
- <3>XY SMO7549 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 84 NW. MD002166. [Mapped feature: #38041 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8084 4751 (595m by 265m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||OARE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1460598 (Pastscape entry: 1460598)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 NW87
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1460598
Record last edited
Jan 27 2021 11:10AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.