MMO1638 - Post-medieval field boundary northwest of Yenworthy Wood (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A field boundary is visible on aerial photographs as an earthwork to the northwest of Yenworthy Wood. Part of the boundary is marked on the Ordnance Survey 1:10560 map, but the earthwork shows that this boundary was originally longer and curvilnear in form. The part of the boundary visible on the Ordnance Survey map measures approximately 80 metres long, and runs southwest to northeast. It then turns 90 degres and runs northwest to southeast for 70 metres, and it is this section which is not shown on the map. It may have been laid out as part of the original pre 19th Century enclosure of this area but rejected in favour of the boundary 50 metres down the slope to the north, which is similar in size and form and still in use today. [1-3] The 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps also show the boundary as partially extant in the same form as currently depicted on modern MasterMap data. [4-6]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/79013 136 (17 April 1979).
- <2> SEM7608 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1963. 6 Inch Map: 1963.
- <3> SMO7549 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 84 NW. MD002166.
- <4> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <5> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <6> SEM8322 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2016. MasterMap.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8104 4898 (150m by 54m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||OARE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1460364 (Original Monarch entry: 1460364)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 NW76
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1460364
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:19PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.