MMO1626 - Possible circular structure on Lester Point (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A small circular banked feature, possibly the remains of a structure, is visible on aerial photographs from the 1940s, situated on Lester Point above Combe Martin. The feature is roughly circular, measuring approximately 7 metres in diameter, and centred at SS 5771 4758. Its precise date and function are uncertain, although its position above the cliff suggests it could be the remains of a military structure such as a pillbox. However, due to its poor condition in 1946 this is unlikely. [1,2] The feature is visible on aerial photographs held by the National Park Authority dating to 1946-8.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/1501 4383 (11 July 1946).
- <2>XY SMO7548 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 54 NE. MD002165. [Mapped feature: #38655 ]
- <3> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography.
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1460135, Extant 27 October 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 5771 4758 (12m by 12m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||COMBE MARTIN, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1460135 (Pastscape entry: 1460135)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 54 NE98
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1460135
- Shoreline Management Plan 2 (0-20)
- Shoreline Management Plan 2 (20-50)
- Shoreline Management Plan 2 (50-100)
Record last edited
Oct 27 2021 2:03PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.