MMO1617 - Medieval ridge and furrow west of The Kennels (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
Possible ridge and furrow, potentially of medieval date, is visible as slight earthworks and parchmarks on aerial photographs of 1962, to the southeast of Holnicote House, Selworthy parish. Centred on SS 9123 4610, immediately to the west of building marked on the current Ordnance Survey map as The Kennels, the ridge and furrow covers an area of approximately 6000 square metres or just over half a hectare. Further similar earthworks may be visible 90 metres to the east, crossing under the line of the driveway to The Kennels, but these are less clear and have not been transcribed. The earthworks follow the course of an extant field boundary, but it is unclear from the aerial photographic evidence alone whether this boundary predates the Holnicote estate or is a later post-medieval addition. On 1970 photography this area appears to be in use as parking and the ground surface is deeply rutted and disturbed, probably negatively affecting the condition of the earthworks. [1-3]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 58/5159 (F21) 176-177 (4 June 1962).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/70066 017-018 (3 May 1970).
- <3>XY SMO7550 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 94 NW. MD002167. [Mapped feature: #39900 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9123 4611 (163m by 74m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||SELWORTHY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1460103 (Original Monarch entry: 1460103)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MMO235
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NW221
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1460103
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 146103
Record last edited
Dec 15 2020 11:59AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.