MMO1603 - Late prehistoric ditched enclosure northeast of Blackford (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
A possible ditched enclosure, potentially of prehistoric date, is visible on aerial photographs as cropmarks approximately 600 metres to the northwest of Tivington, Selworthy parish, centred on circa SS 926 454. The cropmarks are extremely subtle and somewhat fragmentary in nature with different elements of the possible enclosure visible on two sets of photographs, from July 1946 and June 1976. The possibility that some of the transcribed cropmarks are geological rather than archaeological in origin must be considered. In mitigation, a known D shaped cropmark enclosure approximately 250 metres to the east may be associated with this site. [1-3]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/1655 3104-5 (11 July 1946).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. MAL 76046 192-3 (25 June 1976).
- <3>XY SMO7550 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 94 NW. MD002167. [Mapped feature: #32551 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9265 4541 (122m by 170m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||SELWORTHY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1459951 (Original Monarch entry: 1459951)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NW208
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1459951
Record last edited
Dec 15 2020 1:01PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.