MMO1489 - World War Two army camp east of Camp Reservoir (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
SS 9578 4689 Site of a Second World War army camp, visible as an area of heavily used ground, was mapped from aerial photographs taken in 1946. Located on the south side of Hill Road, 140 metres eastsoutheast of the Camp Reservoir, within the wartime military training site and firing range on Minehead's North Hill; the area consists of at least four dirt access roads/tracks to/from Hill Road, which lead to an area of heavily trodden and damaged moorland overlooking Woodcombe. A row of at least eleven rectangular earth patches, about 11 metres by 5 metres and aligned southeast to northwest (SS 9583 4686 to SS 9575 4690), intersected by an access road through the middle, represent the former site of structures or large tents. Opposite this row are five rectangular features of various sizes and aligned southeas to northwest (SS 9573 4690, SS 9574 4688, SS 9577 4688, SS 9578 4687 and SS 9580 4686) which may represent the bases for temporary wooden buildings or Nissen huts. Between the individual features are heavily trodden areas of bare earth, being the paths between and around the camp. The features are still just visible in 1947, less distinct in 1950 and no longer visible in 1979. [1-6]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/1655 3007-3008 (11 July 1946).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/1655 4004-4005 (11 July 1946).
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF/CPE/UK/1980 3026-3027 (11 April 1947).
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 541/544 3003-3005 (1 June 1950).
- <5> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR OS/79013 102-103 (17 April 1979).
- <6>XY SMO7543 Archive: Severn Estuary Rapid Coastal Zone Assessment: SS 94 NE. MD000134. [Mapped feature: #35164 ]
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9578 4693 (181m by 156m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||MINEHEAD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1454887 (Original Monarch entry: 1454887)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 94 NE173
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1454887
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:19PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.