MMO134 - Bronze Age round barrow on Molland Common (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Tumulus [O.E.]  Good condition. Approx. 45 feet in diameter, 1 foot 6 inches in height.  Sited at SS 8209 3032 on Molland Common. Visited by Grinsell 26 October 1959. On heath with a slight dip in top.  A round barrow 16.0 metres diameter and 0.7 metres high, heather covered. Ordnance Survey 1:2500 survey revised.  Bronze Age round barrow 16 metres in diameter by 0.7 metres high. Slight depression on top. In good condition. Adjacent to ridgeway.  SS 8208 3032. A turf and heather covered flat topped barrow 0.9 metres maximum height and 18 metres in diameter. It has been mutilated southeast of the centre where there is a slight amorphous hollow, possibly an attempt at excavation or robbing. On the outer rim in the east a length some 6 metres by 2 metres has been disturbed by constructing a crude pen or shelter, now much collapsed and overgrown.  The probable barrow can be seen as an earthwork on aerial photographs of the 1940s onwards. [7,8]
- <1> SEM7223 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1892-1905. County Series, 2nd Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1906, 16SW.
- <2> SEM7441 Index: Ordnance Survey. Ordnance Survey Archaeology Division Record Card. SS 6 inch reviser, T. Jones, 29 November 1957.
- <3> SEM6798 Article in serial: Grinsell, L.V.. 1970. The Barrows of North Devon. Proceedings of the Devon Archaeological Society. 28. 124.
- <4> SMO7320 Unpublished document: Quinnell, N.V.. Field Investigators Comments. Ordnance Survey visit, 30 October 1972.
- <5> SDE69908 Report: Bannister, N.R. and Bannister, D.E.. 1992. Historic landscape survey of the Molland Estate, Nr South Molton, Devon. A19.
- <6> SMO7324 Unpublished document: Sainsbury, I.S.S. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 17 December 1992.
- <7> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 106G/UK/1420 (F20) 3287-8 (15 April 1946).
- <8> SMO7580 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 83 SW. MD002197.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8208 3032 (29m by 30m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||MOLLAND, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (3)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=35820 (Pastscape entry: 35820)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 12336
- Devon SMR: SS83SW/5
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE1461
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE20361
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 83 SW7
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 35820
Record last edited
Feb 12 2019 4:05PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.