MMO1235 - 19th Century quarry east of Larkbarrow Farmhouse (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A quarry, SS 8266 4296, lies adjacent to the field boundary 580 metres east of Larkbarrow farmhouse, at about 420 metres above Ordnance Datum. The quarry survives to a depth of 1.2 metres, is 10 metres in length and 9 metres in width; a small spoil heap, 0.3 metres high, lies on its eastern edge. The feature most probably dates from the 19th Century and may be related to the construction of the boundary wall.  The quarry was recorded at 1:2500 scale using differential GPS as part of an archaeological survey of the Larkbarrow area. The survey was undertaken by the Exeter office of English Heritage at the request of the Exmoor National Park Authority. A client report was produced as part of the survey work and is available from the NMRC, Swindon. [2,3] The small quarry is visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs of the 1940s onwards, some 580 metres to the east of Larkbarrow Farm. The earthwork is most clearly visible on aerial photographs of 1952, on which the main body of the quarry appears oval in shape, measuring 8 metres by 6 metres. The entrance to the pit is on its northeastern side, abutting a small platform 4 metres square, possibly an extension to the main pit. [4,5] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO7314 Unpublished document: JAMIESON, EJ. Field Investigators Comments. 2001, English Heritage Field Investigation..
- <2> SMO7532 Archive: Jamieson, E. and Riley, H.. 2000-2001. Larkbarrow Farm, Somerset. AF1350534.
- <3> SEM4 Report: Jamieson, E.. 2001. Larkbarrow Farm, Exmoor, Somerset.
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 540/931 (F20) 4103-5 (8 November 1952).
- <5>XY SMO7567 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 84 SW. MD002184. [Mapped feature: #43436 ]
- <6> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1341861, Extant 21 July 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8266 4296 (14m by 16m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1341861 (Pastscape entry: 1341861)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10165
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SW170
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1341861
- Somerset SMR PRN: 15230
Record last edited
Jul 21 2021 9:16AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.