MMO1232 - 19th Century prospecting pits south of Larkbarrow Farmhouse (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Two prospecting pits, centred SS 8224 4221, lie adjacent to each other on steeply rising ground above Long Combe Head, on the eastern slopes of Swap Hill. The two pits have a combined length of 16.7 metres, are 19.2 metres in width and are both 0.4 metres in depth. There are spoil heaps on the down slope, or eastern side, of the pits which rise to a height of 1 metre. A further small prospect pit was located 19 metres to the west of the site. These features are possibly related to Frederic Knight's attempts at mineral extraction on Exmoor in the mid 19th Century.  The feature was recorded at 1:2500 scale using differential GPS equipment as part of an archaeological survey of the Larkbarrow area. The survey was carried out by the Exeter office of English Heritage at the request of the Exmoor National Park Authority. A client report was produced as part of the survey work and is available from the NMRC, Swindon. [2,3] Two pits visible as earthworks on aerial photographs of the 1940s onwards, centred on circa SS 8224 4221 and SS 8222 4221, have been transcribed as part of the Exmoor National Mapping Programme survey. Both pits appear to be roughly square in shape and measure approximately 5 to 7 metres to a side. It is probable that the pit at SS 8224 4221 corresponds to that described by the above authority, but it is likely that some subtleties of form or extent are not visible on the available aerial photographs. [4,5] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO7314 Unpublished document: JAMIESON, EJ. Field Investigators Comments. 2001, English Heritage Field Investigation..
- <2> SMO7532 Archive: Jamieson, E. and Riley, H.. 2000-2001. Larkbarrow Farm, Somerset. AF1350534.
- <3> SEM4 Report: Jamieson, E.. 2001. Larkbarrow Farm, Exmoor, Somerset.
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF 106G/UK/1501 (F20) 3195-6 (13 May 1946).
- <5>XY SMO7567 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 84 SW. MD002184. [Mapped feature: #43435 ]
- <6> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1341512, Extant 21 July 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8222 4221 (25m by 9m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1341512 (Pastscape entry: 1341512)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10158
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SW163
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1341512
- Somerset SMR PRN: 15223
Record last edited
Jul 21 2021 9:18AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.