MMO1230 - 19th Century quarry north of Larkbarrow Corner (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
The earthwork remains of a 19th Century quarry, SS 8211 4174, lie on rough grassland 300 metres north of Larkbarrow Corner. The quarry survives to a depth of 3 metres at its deepest point, with dimensions of 14 metres east to west and 26 metres north to south. It has an entrance in its southern side with spoil heaps running round its outer edge and rising to a height of 1 metre. There is ground disturbance all round the feature, some of which may be related to the areas later use as a military training ground.  The feature was recorded at 1:2500 scale using differential GPS as part of an archaeological survey of the Larkbarrow area. The survey was carried out by the Exeter Office of English Heritage at the request of the Exmoor National Park Authority. A client report was produced as part of the survey work and is available from the NMRC, Swindon. [2,3] The quarry was transcribed from aerial photographs as part of the Exmoor National Mapping programme survey. The quarry is visible, as described by the above authorities, on photographs of the 1940s onwards on which it is also apparent on that the surrounding ground disturbance is due in part to Second World War military activity but also to extensive drainage ditches of probable 19th Century date. [4,5] This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO7314 Unpublished document: JAMIESON, EJ. Field Investigators Comments. 2001, English Heritage Field Investigation..
- <2> SMO7532 Archive: Jamieson, E. and Riley, H.. 2000-2001. Larkbarrow Farm, Somerset. AF1350534.
- <3> SEM4 Report: Jamieson, E.. 2001. Larkbarrow Farm, Exmoor, Somerset.
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. NMR RAF CPE/UK/1980 (F20) 3162-4 (11 April 1947).
- <5>XY SMO7568 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 84 SE. MD002185. [Mapped feature: #43434 ]
- <6> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1340735, Extant 21 July 2021.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8211 4174 (22m by 26m) Aerial Survey|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (2)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1340735 (Pastscape entry: 1340735)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO10153
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 SW158
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1340735
- Somerset SMR PRN: 15218
Record last edited
Jul 21 2021 9:20AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.