MMO1210 - Late prehistoric oval enclosure north of Higher Dumbledeer (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
The earthwork remains of a small, later prehistoric enclosure lie to the north of Higher Dumbledeer, on the unenclosed land on Withycombe Hill, at ST 0005 4109. The enclosure was previously recorded as part of MSO8633. The enclosure was first noted in 1840 by Savage, who interpreted it as a stone circle.  The enclosure was surveyed at a scale of 1:2500 in March 1999 using differential GPS as part of the Exmoor Project. It is oval in shape, measures 44 metres east to west by 50 metres north to south and encloses an area 0.15 hectares. The enclosure is defined by a spread, stony bank or scarp, on average 0.5 metres high. The southwest quadrant has been damaged by a track and by cattle poaching. The interior (and some of the enclosure bank) is difficult to survey and interpret due to bracken and brambles. Traces of an inner scarp 0.3 metres high are discernible. The entrance may lie in the eastern portion of the enclosure where the vegetation is most impenetrable. The enclosure lies within an area of Iron Age/Romano-British field system (MSO8633), but vegetation and cattle damage obsure their exact relationship.  Part of the enclosure described above is visible on aerial photographs, but for the most part is heavily obscured by the trackways and vegetation. [3,4]
- <1> SSO1909 Monograph: Savage, J.. 1830. A History of the Hundred of Carhampton.
- <2> SMO7322 Unpublished document: Riley, H.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 1999.
- <3> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 58/5159 195-96 4 June 1962).
- <4>XY SMO7559 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: ST 04 SW. MD002176. [Mapped feature: #39864 ]
|Grid reference||Centred ST 0005 4109 (58m by 60m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||WITHYCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1230649 (Original Monarch entry: 1230649)
- Exmoor National Park Authority HER number: MSO8633
- National Monuments Record reference: ST 04 SW70
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1230649
- Somerset SMR PRN: 34264
Record last edited
Mar 12 2019 12:20PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.