MMO1198 - Post-medieval field system on Porlock Common (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
The remains of a field system lie on Porlock Common, centred at SS 855 465. The field system probably represents post-medieval exploitation of the Common, although it is not shown on the 1809 map of the area. [1,2] A probable post-medieval field system is visible on aerial photographs and at ground level in the northeast of Porlock Common. Centred at SS 8493 4657, up to five field boundaries are visible, forming regular rectangular fields.The banks vary in length from 30 to 90 metres long, and in width from 1 to 2 metres wide. They are not depicted on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map, suggesting the enclosure attempt was abandoned prior to publication. [3-5]
- --- SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. ENPA Infra Red False Colour photography 64/88 102-03 1988.
- --- SMO5112 Map: Ordnance Survey. Various. Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) . 1:2500 1889.
- --- SMO5301 Unpublished document: Eardley-Wilmot, H.. 1981. Worksheet in Devon HER. Ordnance Survey 1809 Geological Survey of Great Britain: Bridgwater Bay.
- <1> SMO7322 Unpublished document: Riley, H.. Field Investigators Comments. RCHME Field Investigation, 1998.
- <5> SMO7557 Archive: 2007-2009. Exmoor National Park NMP: SS 84 NE. MD002174.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 8492 4659 (250m by 156m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||PORLOCK, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1174189 (Original Monarch entry: 1174189)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 84 NE85
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1174189
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:18PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.