MMO1126 - Guerney Level (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (4)
- None recorded
A possible level of post-medieval date was seen as earthworks and mapped from aerial photographs. The level, centred at ST 0030 3360, may be accompanied by a second level at ST 0032 3357, but this is difficult to interpret. The second feature could alternatively be quarrying as there are other quarries in the vicinity at ST 0026 3352, ST 0030 3348 and ST 0050 3345. [1-3] A level which was part of Withiel Hill Pit and was one of the Brendon Hills Iron Ore Company mines, possibly visible as earthworks. The trial adit is approximately 18 metres in length and accessed via a small apeture at the entrance. 
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 106G/UK/1655 4283-4284 (4 November 1946).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1944 1145-1146 (23 January 1947).
- <3> SMO6672 Collection: RCHME: Brendon Hills Mapping Project, ST 03 SW.
- <4> SEM7005 Report: Jones, M.H.. 1995. Report on Proposed Low-Key Visitor Access to Industrial Sites on the Brendon Hills. p14.
|Grid reference||Centred ST 0040 3352 (318m by 182m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||BROMPTON REGIS, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1165003 (Original Monarch entry: 1165003)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO9053
- National Monuments Record reference: ST 03 SW56
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1165003
Record last edited
Jul 25 2018 1:03PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.