MMO1028 - Possible post-medieval ironstone pits north of Broad Lane, Exton (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A linear series of approximately twenty, small (4m to 10m) circular depressions, are clearly visible as earthworks on vertical aerial photograph, to the north of Broad Lane, Exton. These features, which are very uniform in shape and size, may be post medieval (or earlier) ironstone pits. [1-3]
- <1> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF CPE/UK/1944 2155-6 (23 January 1947).
- <2> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. RAF 540/860 4062 (2 September 1952).
- <3> SMO7523 Archive: RCHME: Brendon Hills Mapping Project, SS 93 SW. AF1133201.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9315 3389 (168m by 306m) (Aerial Survey)|
|Civil Parish||EXTON, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (1)
- http://www.pastscape.org.uk/hob.aspx?hob_id=1133896 (Original Monarch entry: 1133896)
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MSO7227
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 93 SW82
- Pastscape HOBID (was Monarch UID): 1133896
Record last edited
Dec 6 2016 9:54AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.