MEM24853 - Post-medieval wood bank surrounding Stanton Plantation (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A boundary bank and ditch were noted encircling the western and southern sides of Staunton Plantation during a field visit in 2020. The boundary is depicted on the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map around the area now recorded as Staunton Plantation but at that time labelled Staunton Common. The boundary continues to the east and north from both ends, but it is not apparent how this is expressed on the ground.  This boundary is not shown on the Tithe Map for Dunster, suggesting the enclosure was formed after this was surveyed.  The boundary is shown on 2020 MasterMap data.  The features may also continue beyond the mapped extent depicted on the HER's GIS data. 
- <1> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1999-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Shirley Blaylock, 14 April 2020.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM8089 Map: 1842. Dunster Tithe Map and Apportionment. 6 chains = 1 inch.
- <4> SEM8817 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2020. MasterMap data. 1:2,500.
- <5> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1999-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 14 April 2020.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9637 4420 (712m by 564m)|
|Civil Parish||MINEHEAD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- None recorded
Record last edited
Apr 15 2020 2:31PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.