MEM24836 - Post-medieval house and well east of Hill Side (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A rectangular building is shown on the Exton Tithe Map at SS 9260 3367, directly south of the Churchyard. It is within plot 774, which is described in the Apportionment as "House and Garden", owned by Abraham Smith and occupied by James Melhuish.  The building is also shown on the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map, with some subdivision. A well is depicted directly to the south of the building.  The arrangment shown on the 1st Edition map is repeated on the 2nd Edition map.  The 6 inch 1962 map shows that the building had been removed by this time, although the well is still depicted and labelled. A new building had been built within the same plot, to the west.  The new building is shown on the 2020 MasterMap data located at SS 9258 3367 and labelled "Hill Side". The well is no longer depicted. 
- <1> SSO677 Map: 1838. Exton Tithe Map and Apportionment. Land parcel 774.
- <2>XY SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. [Mapped features: #46514 Site of well, ; #46515 Location of house, ]
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM7220 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1962. 6 Inch Map: 1962. 1:10560.
- <5> SEM8817 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2020. MasterMap data. 1:2,500.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9260 3367 (19m by 12m)|
|Civil Parish||EXTON, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- None recorded
Record last edited
Feb 10 2020 4:49PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.