MEM24789 - Chillybridge Cottage (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The Tithe Map for Kings Brompton Parish depicts two small empty field parcels at SS 9237 3070, in the corner of the road to the west of the A396 and north of the routeway across Chilly Bridge, which is labelled on the map. The parcels are labelled 1321, which the accompanying Apportionment describes as a "Turnpike House and Garden", owned by Stuckley Tristam Lucas Esq and occupied by the Minehead Turnpike Commissioners. N.B. No building is shown but the description states a house was present on the site, suggesting it was omitted rather than not present. Its form is not known. [1,2] The 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map depicts a square building in the corner of the road junction at SS 9238 3068, within a smaller land parcel. It is labelled Chillybridge Cottage. This may or may not be the Turnpike House mentioned in the Tithe Apportionment.  The building is extant on the 2018 MasterMap data and still labelled "Chillybridge Cottage".  The A396 at this location was part of the Minehead United Turnpike Trust Toll Road built 1823-1824 between Minehead and Exebridge. 'Three new gates were erected: at Alcombe Cross outside Minehead…at Wheddon Cross and by Chilly Bridge two miles beyond Bridgetown…The plain rectangular house to serve the last remains with a small side window for the better observation of traffic approaching from the north.' 
- <1> SSO76 Map: 1841. Kings Brompton Tithe Map and Apportionment. 6 chains = 1 inch. Land parcel 1321.
- <2> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1999-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 16 September 2019.
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4>XY SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap. [Mapped feature: #46327 ]
- <5> SEM8665 Monograph: Clarke, L.A.. 2002. SIAS Survey number sixteen: The Minehead United Turnpike Trust. Somerset Industrial Archaeological Society. P45.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9238 3068 (8m by 7m)|
|Historic Parish||KINGS BROMPTON|
|Civil Parish||BROMPTON REGIS, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- None recorded
Record last edited
Sep 16 2019 5:25PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.