MEM24778 - Post-medieval boundary wall at The Old Rectory (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
There are considerable stretches of boundary walling of local sandstone. Particularly notable is the wall forming the boundary to the Old Rectory, which is constructed of the typical roughly coursed stone rubble.  The wall can be seen on Google Street View. It enclosed the Rectory gardens from the western side, bounding the road through the village. An entrance way has been created through it to provide access to Windrush. It commences at SS 9379 4333, where it abuts the Rectory, running southwards, then turns eastwards away from the road at SS 9376 4327, heading a few metres before apparently terminating. [2,3] The original boundary of the gardens can be seen on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map. An Ordnance Survey bench mark is recorded at c. SS 9379 4333, adjacent to the northernmost point.  The Tithe Map for Wootton Courtenay shows the southern section of the wall bounded a land parcel that was in separate ownership than the Rectory at this time. This might suggest that the wall dates to when this parcel of land was acquired by the Rectory, at some time between 1844 and 1889. [5,6]
- <1> SEM8695 Report: Pratt, N.. 2018. Wootton Courtenay Conservation Area: appraisal document. 36, illustration 36.
- <2> SEM8076 Website: Google. 2014 -. Google Maps. Street View, captured July 2014, viewed 3 September 2019.
- <3>XY SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap. [Mapped feature: #46313 ]
- <4> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <5> SSO718 Map: 1844. Wootton Courtenay Tithe Map and Apportionment. Land parcel 319.
- <6> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1999-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 3 September 2019.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9377 4330 (38m by 68m)|
|Civil Parish||WOOTTON COURTENAY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 17 2019 9:00AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.