MEM24772 - Jasmine Cottage, Wootton Courtenay (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Attached to the rear of the village shop and abutting the churchyard is Jasmine Cottage, a tall two and a half storey building of exposed stone with a slate roof. Its top floor dormers are now joined by solar PVs. The property was described as of local interest. The building is depicted and labelled "Jasmine Cottage" on 2018 MasterMap data at SS 9381 4339.  It is similarly depicted on the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map.  The Tithe Map for Wootton Courtenay depicts this area as a garden for the poor house, situated further to the south and encroaching on the main road (MEM24747).  The poor house was presumably cleared from site before Jasmine Cottage was erected. It is not clear whether this was done to facilitate construction of the property, or advantage was taken of the newly available plot of land. 
- <1> SEM8695 Report: Pratt, N.. 2018. Wootton Courtenay Conservation Area: appraisal document. 18, 56, illustration 19.
- <2>XY SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap. [Mapped feature: #46306 ]
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SSO718 Map: 1844. Wootton Courtenay Tithe Map and Apportionment. Land parcel 302.
- <5> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1999-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 2 September 2019.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9381 4339 (10m by 14m)|
|Civil Parish||WOOTTON COURTENAY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 17 2019 9:00AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.