MEM24756 - Wheddons Cottage and Bradlea, Wootton Courtenay (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
The plot is shown as part of an orchard on the Tithe Map for Wootton Courtenay, part of the ownership of a house to the west named Wheddons Cottage (MEM24756).  The 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map shows a range of buildings, including some outbuildings, arranged from east to west and with their main elevation fronting the road to the north. The main core of the buildings is at SS 9372 4320 and the range is not all joined together. The buildings are unlabelled. The building to the west appears to have been demolished.  The buildings are shown as one long range on the 2018 MasterMap data, with some subdivision. The westernmost end is labelled "Wheddons Cottage" and the eastern end is labelled "Bradlea".  Wheddon's Cottage is built in an estate cottage style of worked stone, with a central stone stack with linked triple brick flues and ornamental barge board. It is probably mid to late 19th Century in date and doesn't appear on the Tithe Map.  At the corner is Wheddon’s Cottage and Bradlea, a pair of estate style cottages built of worked stone, with a central stone stack with linked triple brick flues, and ornamental barge board. They are probably mid-late 19th Century as they are absent from the Tithe Map but appear on the 1st Edition OS map . The property was described as of local interest.  The cottages were part of the Wootton Courtenay Estate and was sold at auction by James Huntly Dutton on Wednesday 14th April 1921, as lot 23. A picture of the cottages is shown in the sales particulars. 
- <1> SSO718 Map: 1844. Wootton Courtenay Tithe Map and Apportionment. Land parcel 325.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap.
- <4> SEM6951 Report: Fisher, J.. 2003. Wootton Courtenay: Conservation Area Character Appraisal. 14.
- <5> SEM8695 Report: Pratt, N.. 2018. Wootton Courtenay Conservation Area: appraisal document. 25, 56, inc illustration.
- <6> SEM8578 Monograph: Ball, D.. 2007. Wootton Courtenay. Peter Ball. 15, illustrations 16, 23.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9373 4319 (28m by 22m)|
|Civil Parish||WOOTTON COURTENAY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 17 2019 9:00AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.