MEM24752 - Outbuildings east of The Old Rectory, Wootton Courtenay (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (3)
The Tithe Map shows a large range of outbuildings arranged in a reverse C shape and centred at SS 9384 4335. They abut the main road to the north before running southwards to c.SS 9384 4334, before turning eastwards and meeting the building extant before the original Rectory building (MSO10632, which may or may not have been rebuilt). The Apportionment includes these buildings in the land parcel for the Rectory and its gardens, owned and occupied by the Reverend Russel Richards as Glebe land, and the description for this parcel includes "Offices".  By the time the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map was surveyed, the range had been broken up and reduced in size. It is not clear to what extent the original buildings survive in the buildings depicted, or if they were demolished and rebuilt.  The 2018 MasterMap data shows that more of the buildings have since been demolished, leaving a small range at SS 9384 4336.  The remnant buildings are shown on Google Streetview on photographs taken in 2014. They are of stone with brick dressings, slate roofs and timber doors and windows.  N.B. The mapping for this Monument record is approximate and requires confirmation.  To the east of the Old Rectory are the remnants of a long range of outbuildings that formerly swept around three sides of the yard.  A kitchen and brewhouse, with malt and grain store, were built away from the main Rectory house. 
- <1>XY SSO718 Map: 1844. Wootton Courtenay Tithe Map and Apportionment. Land parcel 318. [Mapped feature: #46287 Approximate location of outbuildings, 318]
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap.
- <4> SEM8076 Website: Google. 2014 -. Google Maps. Street View, captured July 2014, viewed 28 August 2019.
- <5> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1999-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments. Catherine Dove, 28 August 2019.
- <6> SEM8695 Report: Pratt, N.. 2018. Wootton Courtenay Conservation Area: appraisal document. 15.
- <7> SEM8578 Monograph: Ball, D.. 2007. Wootton Courtenay. Peter Ball. 70.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9383 4335 (28m by 39m)|
|Civil Parish||WOOTTON COURTENAY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 17 2019 9:00AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.