MEM24749 - Rose Cottage, Wootton Courtenay (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Rose Cottage is rendered with a slate roof. It has a tall square section lateral stack to the rear. It is probably of 17th Century origin but with 19th Century embellishments such as the gabled trellised porch and casement windows. N.B. The photograph caption states the property has a original 18th Century frontage and it is suggested that tiles may have replaced a thatched roof.  The property is an irregular rectangular building shown on the Tithe Map for Wootton Courtenay at SS 9393 4339, fronting the road to the south. It is labelled 308a, together with two small square plots of land on the southern side of the road. The Apportionment describes these as "Poole's Cottage and two Gardens", owned by the Right Honourable Lord Sherborne and occupied by Thomas Hurford.  The building is also shown on the 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map but has been subject to some alterations in plan form.  The layout shown on the 1st Edition map is repeated on 2018 MasterMap data. It is labelled "Rose Cottage".  The 2018 Conservation Area Appraisal contains a similar description to that written in 2003.  The property was described as of local interest.  Pools Cottages were part of the Wootton Courtenay Estate and was sold at auction by James Huntly Dutton on Wednesday 14th April 1921, as lot 20. A picture of the cottages is shown in the sales particulars. 
- <1> SEM6951 Report: Fisher, J.. 2003. Wootton Courtenay: Conservation Area Character Appraisal. 14, illustration 13.
- <2> SSO718 Map: 1844. Wootton Courtenay Tithe Map and Apportionment. Land parcel 308a.
- <3> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <5> SEM8695 Report: Pratt, N.. 2018. Wootton Courtenay Conservation Area: appraisal document. 18, 56, illustration 18.
- <6> SEM8578 Monograph: Ball, D.. 2007. Wootton Courtenay. Peter Ball. 15, illustration 16, 22.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9393 4339 (21m by 12m)|
|Civil Parish||WOOTTON COURTENAY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 17 2019 9:00AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.