MEM24745 - Stag Cottage and Pound Cottage, Wootton Courtenay (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
The Tithe Map for Wootton Courtenay depicts a large irregularly shaped building centred at SS 9376 4339 fronting the main road. Together with a parcel of land to the rear, it is labelled 299, which the accompanying Apportionment describes as "Pound Cottage and Garden", owned by The Right Honorable Lord Sherborne and Thomas Hole Senior, and occupied by Thomas Hole Senior.  The 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map shows subdivided properties on the eastern end of the site of this building, centred at SS 9376 4339. These may or may not include the remains of the original Pound Cottage. They appear to be labelled the "Rose & Crown Inn", although this is not clear. A further smaller rectangular structure, which appears to be the western end of the original house, is shown at SS 9373 4339.  The 2nd Edition map shows the site arranged in a similar way, excepting that the label for the Inn had been removed.  The 2018 MasterMap data shows the buildings at the eastern end have been amalgamated into two properties, the eastern labelled "Pound Cottage" and the western "Stag Cottage". The smaller rectangular building to the east has apparently been removed.  Pound Cottage and Stag Cottage are slightly angled to the road and probably date from the late 17th or early 18th Century. The former is rendered with steps up, the latter has exposed stone with a brick relieving arch and wrought iron railings, and there are timber casement windows to both.  The 2018 Conservation Area Appraisal contains a similar description to that written in 2003 , except that it is noted the building is shown as the Rose and Crown on the 25 inch 1st Edition map . The property was described as of local interest.  In the 1861 Census, David Knight is listed as the Innkeeper of the Rose and Crown. 
- <1> SSO718 Map: 1844. Wootton Courtenay Tithe Map and Apportionment. Land parcel 299.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1889.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1903.
- <4> SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM6951 Report: Fisher, J.. 2003. Wootton Courtenay: Conservation Area Character Appraisal. 14, illustration 9.
- <6> SEM8695 Report: Pratt, N.. 2018. Wootton Courtenay Conservation Area: appraisal document. 20, 56, illustration 21.
- <7> SEM8578 Monograph: Ball, D.. 2007. Wootton Courtenay. Peter Ball. 33.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9376 4339 (48m by 25m)|
|Civil Parish||WOOTTON COURTENAY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Sep 17 2019 9:00AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.