MEM24694 - Post-medieval quarry south of Wydon (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
The 25 inch 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map depicts and labels a quarry at SS 9383 4686. The site is reached by a routeway from Wydon to the north.  The quarry is depicted but not labelled on the 25 inch 2nd Edition map.  The quarry is not shown on 2018 MasterMap data; however the site is clearly visible as earthworks on aerial photographs dating to 1946-8 and 2017. [3-5]
- <1>XY SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. [Mapped feature: #46220 ]
- <2> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography.
- <4> SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM8520 Aerial photograph: Getmapping. 2017. Vertical Aerial Photography of Exmoor National Park.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9384 4685 (20m by 28m)|
|Civil Parish||MINEHEAD WITHOUT, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:18PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.