MEM24651 - St Peter's Churchyard, Trentishoe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
Belongs to a minute church standing just by a farmstead in a sheltered fold below the bare downs, with the sea less than 1/2 mile away to the northwest.  Parish church. The earliest phase identified dates to the 15th Century.  A structure is present at this location on the 1842 Trentishoe Tithe map, within a parcel of land. They are labelled 63, which is described as "Church and Church Yard", owned by The Reverend Charles Griffiths as Glebe land.  The churchyard appears to have been extended to the south since the 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey map was surveyed. [8,9]
- <1> SMO4764 Monograph: Cherry, B. + Pevsner, N.. 1999. The Buildings of England: Devon. Penguin Books. 2nd Edition. 876.
- <2> SMO5109 Index: Department of the Environment. List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest . HHR: Trentishoe (9 April 1987) 86.
- <7> SDE82553 Map: 1842. Trentishoe Tithe Map and Apportionment. Land parcel 63.
- <8> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <9> SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6465 4860 (29m by 46m)|
|Civil Parish||TRENTISHOE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (3)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:18PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.