MEM24618 - Post-medieval stream head northwest of Drift Lane (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The site is shown as a clear plot on the Tithe Map for Exton.  The 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map depicts the head of a watercourse at SS 9526 3603. The watercourse heads to the southwest, leaving the field at c. SS 9524 3601.  The arrangement depicted on the 1st Edition map is repeated on the 2nd Edition map.  A survey of aerial photographs noted a complex of grass and soil marks here. [4-6] 2018 MasterMap data shows that the site is now occupied by a pond. 
- <1> SSO677 Map: 1838. Exton Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. CEP/UK/1980 3342 (April 1947).
- <5> SMO4068 Aerial photograph: Various. Various. Vertical Aerial Photograph. HSL/UK/71-177 95/8754 (September 1971).
- <6> SEM7406 Unpublished document: McDonnell, R.. 1980. Gazetteer of Sites in the Exmoor National Park Identified through Aerial Photography. SS9536A.
- <7> SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9525 3602 (27m by 31m)|
|Civil Parish||EXTON, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- None recorded
Record last edited
Dec 3 2018 2:45PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.