MEM24611 - Possible prehistoric standing stones above the West Lyn River (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A pair of upright stones lies some 230 metres to the southwest of the stone row, on the eastern side of the West Lyn River at SS 7271 4407, on the western edge of the spur defined by the West Lyn River and Warcombe Water. The stones are oriented west to east and lie 60 metres apart (A and B). A prone stone (C) lies some 15 metres to the southwest of the western upright stone. It is unlikely to have formed part of the feature and is probably a piece of surface stone. All of the stones are slabs of sandstone local to the area. The measurements of the stones are given below: (Stone Lengt;h Width; Height; Description) A 30 centimetres; 8 centimetres; 10 centimetres; Upright . B 20 centimetres; 8 centimetres; 12 centimetres; Upright. C 20 centimetres; 23 centimetres; 6 centimetres; Prone. The stones were recorded at a scale of 1: 100 using differential GPS by the English Heritage AS&I team (Exeter). [1,2] This site was not visited during the 2017-2018 standing stone condition survey, but it is likely still present in the area.  This record was enhanced as part of the National Record of the Historic Environment to Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record data transfer project. 
- <1> SMO7322 Unpublished document: Riley, H.. Field Investigators Comments. English Heritage Field Investigation, 2007.
- <2>XY SEM6825 Report: Riley, H.. 2007. Lithic monuments on Exmoor: some new discoveries - The Warcombe Water Stone Row and a stone setting on Trout Hill. English Heritage. p. 8. [Mapped feature: #45259 Possible Stone Setting of 3 Stones., ]
- <3> SEM8523 Report: Fuller, J.. 2018. Exmoor Prehistoric Standing Stone Condition Survey: 2017-2018. MEM24611.
- <4> SEM7987 Digital archive: Historic England. Various. National Record of the Historic Environment (NRHE) entry. 1463330, Extant 18 January 2022.
|Grid reference||SS 7271 4407 (point)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- National Monuments Record reference: SS 74 SW165
- NRHE HOB UID (Pastscape): 1463330
Record last edited
Jan 18 2022 2:23PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.