MEM24605 - Health Poult Inn (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The Tithe Map shows the site as a clear plot.  The 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map shows a small broadly square building situated facing the road and next to the Cutcombe Parish boundary at SS 9415 3687. It is labelled "Heath Poult Inn" and has a very small square outbuilding positioned abutting the roadside to the southwest of the building, at SS 9414 3687. The latter has a bench mark noted on its southern elevation.  The inn is depicted but not labelled on the 2nd Edition map. The small square building to the southwest is shown as roofed but it is not clear if the main inn was roofed. It is therefore possible that the building had passed out of use by this time.  The inn at Heathpoult Cross was one of two of the nearest licenced establishments to the miners' colony at Brendon Hill.  The building had been completely removed from the site by 2018. 
- <1> SSO95 Map: 1842. Cutcombe Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8462 Monograph: Binding, H., Pearce, B. and Pugsley, S.. 2001. Exmoor Century: A century of change through fascinating historic and contemporary photographs of Exmoor. Exmoor Books. 132.
- <5> SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9415 3688 (20m by 18m)|
|Civil Parish||CUTCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Related Articles (1)
External Links (0)
- None recorded
Record last edited
Nov 14 2018 2:26PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.