MEM24598 - Rockford Inn, Rockford (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A large rectangular building in a larger plot of land is shown at SS 7563 4770 on the Tithe Map for Brendon. The settlement was called Ashford at that time. The building is labelled as 825, which is described as a "House and Garden" at Ashford, owned and occupied by William Bromham. A smaller house to the southeast at SS 7564 4769 is labelled 824 and is again described as a "House and Garden", owned by William Barnes and occupied by Hester White.  The main building appears to be again shown on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map and is labelled the Rockford Inn, with the house to the southeast apparently adjoining it. It is not clear whether the buildings have been altered, or even demolished and rebuilt in the interim.  This arrangement is repeated on the 2nd Edition map.  Since the 2nd Edition map was surveyed, the southeastern building appears to have been removed or heavily truncated. The main part of the property has been extended to the rear.  The inn is mentioned in a guide book of 1890. It was photographed in c.1890.  The Rockford Inn was photographed in 1910 and the long bar in the 1940s; the latter has since been changed.  "The Brendon Sing" happens on the 3rd Saturday of each month and has run over 40 years (2015). It began at the Rockford Inn but moved to the Staghunters Inn over 25 years ago. 
- <1> SEM7949 Map: 1841. Brendon Tithe Map and Apportionment. Land parcels 824 and 825.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4>XY SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap. [Mapped feature: #45219 ]
- <5> SEM8462 Monograph: Binding, H., Pearce, B. and Pugsley, S.. 2001. Exmoor Century: A century of change through fascinating historic and contemporary photographs of Exmoor. Exmoor Books. 12.
- <6> SEM8456 Monograph: Swift, A. and Elliott, K.. 2015. Devon pubs: A pictorial retrospective. Akeman Press. 1st Edition. 47.
- <7> SEM340879 Leaflet: Babb, M.. 2015. Some songs from "The Brendon Sing". p2.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7563 4770 (30m by 26m)|
|Civil Parish||BRENDON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- None recorded
Record last edited
Nov 3 2021 1:03PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.