MEM24582 - Medieval or post-medieval bridge in Pooltown (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
SS 9850 3733. Stone road bridge. A bridge is shown here on the 1809 1 inch Ordnance Survey map . On the Luxborough Tithe Map , the layout of the site does not match the current one, suggesting it dates to after 1841. The new bridge is shown on the 1st Edition 6 inch Ordnance Survey map .  The Luxborough Tithe Map shows this area of Pooltown to be fairly open. The river appears to have been diverted under a much larger space, apparently being buried between c. SS 9851 3738, SS 9853 3734 and SS 9850 3733.  The bridge is shown on the 1st Edition 25 inch Ordnance Survey map and on modern MasterMap data. [6,7]
- <1> SSO1423 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1809. 1 Inch Ordnance Surveyors draft map. 1:63,360.
- <2> SSO294 Map: 1843. Luxborough Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <3> SEM6705 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1896. County Series, First Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560.
- <4> SSO2101 Article in serial: Williams, E.F.. 1978. Parish surveys in Somerset two: Luxborough. Proceedings of the Somerset Archaeology and Natural History Society. 2. 7.
- <5> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. Catherine Dove, 30 October 2018.
- <6> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <7> SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9850 3734 (12m by 21m)|
|Civil Parish||LUXBOROUGH, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- None recorded
Record last edited
Apr 27 2020 2:03PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.