MEM24572 - Possible quarry features or destroyed Bronze Age barrows on Barna Barrow (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
SS 7532 4945. Three irregular areas of disturbed ground on the southern side of Barna Barrow. They are probably shallow quarries. The northern feature is about 10 by 12 metres. A short distance east is a smaller version. About 25 metres to the southeast is another, on the southwestern side of which is a lumpy area left undisturbed, or as spoil, it is not clear. An alternative explanation is that of three barrows destroyed to build the road or stone walling in the past. Nothing is shown on the historic map sequences. N.B. The grid reference sited locates the site directly adjacent to the A39, in an area c.120 metres to the west of the location recorded for the site on the site distribution map within the report. The latter has therefore been used as the primary source for the location of the feature as it is more likely to be the correct location. [1,2] The information in this record originally existed in MDE20765, a site recorded c.60 metres to the northeast; however, from the available mapping it is not clear whether the two sources are actually discussing the same features and so they have been separated on the Exmoor HER. 
- <1>XY SDE322990 Report: Berry, N.. 2004. Archaeological and Historic Landscape Survey of Kipscombe Farm, Countisbury. National Trust Archaeological Survey Report. NT SMR No 101008, site 036. [Mapped feature: #45169 ]
- <2> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. Catherine Dove, 17 October 2018.
- <3> SDE74828 Report: Thackray, D. + Thackray, C.. 1986. Lynmouth: Foreland Point, Countisbury Hill and Watersmeet, Devon. National Trust Archaeological Survey Report. Site 100252. 7. 15.
|Grid reference||SS 7542 4947 (point)|
|Civil Parish||COUNTISBURY, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 18116
- Devon SMR: SS74NE/537
- Exmoor National Park Authority HER number: MDE20765
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:18PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.