MEM24432 - Hagley (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The site is shown as a clear plot on the 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey map.  The 1946-8 aerial photographs taken by the Royal Air Force show a building at SS 9729 4420.  The building is shown on Ordnance Survey mapping dating from 1964-72 and in 2018 and is labelled "Hagley (Youth Hostel)" on both maps. It seems little altered between the two surveys taking place. [3,4] SS 972 442. Hagley, Alcombe Combe, Minehead, Somerset. Youth Hostel opened 1 August 1958, replacing Minehead (Clanville) Hostel at SS 967 463 [outside the National Park boundary]. The wardens were Mr and Mrs Walmsley, who had been at Clanville. Much building work was done over the winter of 1959-60, in time for the official opening on 18 June 1960. It was due to close for extensive building works between 1 September 1991 to 15 April 1992. The house is sited in extensive grounds. 
- <1> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <2> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography.
- <3> SMO5112 Map: Ordnance Survey. Various. Ordnance Survey Map (Scale / Date) . 1:2500/1964-1972.
- <4> SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM8572 Unpublished document: Martin, J.. 2018. Youth Hostels Association (England and Wales): Historical listing of all youth hostels and other YHA accommodation. 326.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9729 4420 (22m by 19m)|
|Civil Parish||MINEHEAD, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- None recorded
Record last edited
Aug 1 2018 12:08PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.