MEM24431 - Heddon's Gate Hotel (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
The site is shown as a clear field on the 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey map.  A large house is visible on the 1946-8 aerial photographs taken by the Royal Air Force.  The building was still extant in 2018 and is labelled as "Heddon's Gate Hotel".  SS 657 484. Heddon's Gate, Hunter's Inn, Parracombe, Barnstaple, Devon. Youth Hostel opened 16 March 1953. The wardens, Mr and Mrs Hutchins, bought this new property and transferred the business from Bumsley Mill Farm Hostel [probably MDE21144, though possibly MEM23098]. Closed 31 December 1957. This is a hunting lodge dating from the 1890s. Now the Heddon's Gate Hotel.  Source  states this building dates from the 1890s but it must date from after 1903 as it is not depicted on the 2nd Edition map. [4,1,5]
- <1> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1904, Devon 2(14).
- <2> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography.
- <3> SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap.
- <4> SEM8572 Unpublished document: Martin, J.. 2018. Youth Hostels Association (England and Wales): Historical listing of all youth hostels and other YHA accommodation. 358-9.
- <5> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information. Catherine Dove, 1 August 2018.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6573 4842 (38m by 37m)|
|Civil Parish||MARTINHOE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:18PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.