MEM24354 - Post-medieval and modern quarry south of Fair Cross (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
The Tithe Map for Nettlecombe shows the area as a clear area within a field.  The 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map depicts and labels an old quarry at ST 0545 3945.  The 2nd Edition map shows the quarry now occupying a larger space and labels it "Quarry", suggesting that it is once again in use. A track leads to the site from the south.  The site is shown on the 2018 MasterMap data and labelled "Workings (dis)".  This quarry is near fields called 'Nap Dean' and may have relevance to an 18th century record of a discovery of human remains during the digging of a stone quarry at 'Knap Dane' see site MSO7696.  The name of the field (number 78) is 'pit close' on the Tithe Map and Apportionmant Book suggesting the quarry may have been present at the time of the Tithe Map in 1839 but not depicted. 
- <1> SEM7938 Map: 1839. Nettlecombe Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1993-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments.
- <6> SEM8630 Verbal communication: Various. 1993-. Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Team staff comments.
|Grid reference||Centred ST 0544 3946 (59m by 56m)|
|Civil Parish||NETTLECOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- None recorded
Record last edited
Oct 29 2020 4:16PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.