MEM24241 - Gutterhole Barn (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (5)
- BARN (AD 19th Century to Modern - 1800 AD? to 2050 AD (Possible))
- OUTBUILDING (AD 19th Century to Modern - 1800 AD? to 2050 AD (Possible))
- ENCLOSURE (AD 19th Century to Modern - 1800 AD? to 2050 AD (Possible))
- POND (AD 19th Century to AD 20th Century - 1840 AD? to 1904 AD? (Possible))
- SLUICE (AD 19th Century to AD 20th Century - 1840 AD? to 1904 AD? (Possible))
- None recorded
The Tithe Map for Kings Brompton Parish shows two buildings at SS 9412 3188 (orientated northeast to southwest) and SS 9411 3190 (orentated north to south) within a group of small enclosures. They are together labelled 824, which the accompanying Apportionment describes as "Nicholls and Corrins: Barn Barton etc", owned by the Earl of Carnarvon and occupied by Charles Thomas.  The 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map again depicts the buildings, although the enclosures around them have been somewhat altered in layout. A sluice is labelled at SS 9415 3187, at the southern end of a large pond. The site is labelled "Gutterhole Barn".  The same layout is repeated on the 2nd Edition map, although the sluice and pond appear to have been removed, being replaced by an area of boggy ground.  The main barn at SS 9412 3188 is now labelled as a ruin. Further buildings have been added around the site, particularly to the north and west. 
- <1> SSO76 Map: 1841. Kings Brompton Tithe Map and Apportionment. 6 chains = 1 inch. Land parcel 824.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9413 3187 (55m by 77m)|
|Historic Parish||KINGS BROMPTON|
|Civil Parish||BROMPTON REGIS, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- None recorded
Record last edited
May 23 2018 4:15PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.