MEM24135 - Undated earthworks, possibly natural in origin, northeast of Emmett's Grange (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
SS 7573 3717. An area of irregular earthworks consisting of a series of amorphous ridges and gullies orientated broadly north to south and 0.4 metres high was noted during field survey in 2011. Interpretation is difficult and it is possible these may be natural features.  The site is not visible on the 1st or 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps. [2,3] Part of a water meadow system has been mapped here by the National Mapping Project (see MSO6926); it is therefore possible that the features discussed in  may relate to this system. [4,5]
- <1> SEM7641 Report: Bray, L., Green, T., Wapshott, E. + Walls, S.. 2011. Emmett's Grange, Exmoor, Somerset: Management plan and archaeological assessment. Appendix 1, p32-3.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM7987 Archive: English Heritage. National Monuments Record / AMIE / Monarch entry - viewable via Pastscape. 1099668.
- <5> SMO5308 Verbal communication: Various. Various. Oral Information or Staff Comments. Catherine Dove, 25 April 2018.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7571 3716 (75m by 60m)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Report Site Reference: 189 SEM7641
Record last edited
Apr 25 2018 6:13PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.