MEM24117 - 19th Century linhay southeast of Emmetts Grange Farmhouse (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
SS 7531 3708. A possible structure consisting of a vegetated roughly semi circular section of hedgebank with a height of c.1.5 metres to 1.8 metres and a diameter of c. 10 metres by 6 metres. It is separated from a hedgebank on its northern side by two gaps at either end of c. 3 metres width. Interpretation is difficult but it is shown on Smith's 1856 map as a linhay though it seems more likely to have been a fold or pen given the absence of any evidence for a roof and its overall morphology. In September 2008 this feature was in deteriorating condition due to livestock erosion but has subsequently been fenced off from the rest of the field and is now improving.  A rectangular structure, possibly a building, is shown on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map at SS 7531 3708. It abuts the hedgebank to the north and is within a semi circular enclosure, which appears to be that described by  as a possible structure. The possible building may well be the linhay depicted by Smith in his map of Emmett's Grange. [2,3] The possible linhay appears to have been removed by the time the 2nd Edition map was surveyed, although the enclosure was still extant and can still be seen on modern MasterMap data. [4,5]
- <1> SEM7641 Report: Bray, L., Green, T., Wapshott, E. + Walls, S.. 2011. Emmett's Grange, Exmoor, Somerset: Management plan and archaeological assessment. Appendix 1, p46.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7568 Article in serial: Smith, R.. 1856. Bringing Moorland into Cultivation: Emmett's Grange, Exmoor. Journal of the Royal Agricultural Society of England. 17. 349-394. 357 (illustration).
- <4> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1904, Somerset 44(16).
- <5> SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7530 3708 (19m by 16m)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Report Site Reference: 167 SEM7641
Record last edited
Apr 25 2018 6:13PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.