MEM24116 - 19th Century linhay southeast of Emmetts Grange Farmhouse (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
SS 7545 3662. Building consisting of front and rear walls in concrete block and gable walls in horizontally laid, semi coursed stone rubble. The roof consists of corrugated material and plastic and there are two door openings and a window in the southern wall. This building is situated in the same location as a linhay on Robert Smith's 1856 map and it is possible the current structure is a rebuilding or adaptation of the original.  The structure appears on the 1st and 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps as a rectangular building at SS 7545 3661. [2,3] The structure can still be seen on modern MasterMap data. 
- <1> SEM7641 Report: Bray, L., Green, T., Wapshott, E. + Walls, S.. 2011. Emmett's Grange, Exmoor, Somerset: Management plan and archaeological assessment. Appendix 1, p46.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1904, Somerset 44(16).
- <4> SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7545 3661 (11m by 8m)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Report Site Reference: 79 SEM7641
Record last edited
Apr 25 2018 6:13PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.