MEM24114 - Possible 20th Century building west of Emmett's Grange (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
SS 7477 3692. Stone and brick structure visible through the turf and measuring c. 6 metres by 3 metres. It incorporates concrete moulded 'half pipes' fragments of which are lying on the surface. The original nature and purpose of the structure are unknown, but given the concrete elements it is likely to date from the 20th Century.  The building is not depicted on the 1st or 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey maps. [2,3] A roughly square roofed structure can be seen on aerial photographs taken by the Royal Air Force in 1946-8.  The building is not shown on modern MasterMap data. 
- <1> SEM7641 Report: Bray, L., Green, T., Wapshott, E. + Walls, S.. 2011. Emmett's Grange, Exmoor, Somerset: Management plan and archaeological assessment. Appendix 1, p46.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. 1904, Somerset 44(16).
- <4> SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7477 3691 (17m by 17m)|
|Civil Parish||EXMOOR, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Report Site Reference: 19 SEM7641
Record last edited
Apr 25 2018 6:13PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.