MEM24035 - Post-medieval water management at Ranscombe Combe (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
The 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map shows a leat or water course beginning at SS 6862 4606 and heading north to Ranscombe Combe, where it turns east at SS 6865 4630 and is carried over another water course at SS 6869 4629 and then northwards by an aqueduct, been carried back over the water course at SS 6870 4635 before terminating in a long, thin linear pond that stretches between this point and SS 6882 4652.  The feature is also depicted on the 2nd Edition map.  The long pond can still be viewed on aerial photographs taken in 1946-8 by the Royal Air Force and on false colour aerial photography taken in 1977. [3,4] The area has been relandscaped, including the introduction of new ponds to the east and southeast of Ranscombe Combe, and the features may no longer be extant. 
- <1> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <2> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography.
- <4> SEM7408 Aerial photograph: Meridian Air Maps. 1977-1978. Infrared False Colour Aerial Photography.
- <5> SEM8512 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2017. MasterMap.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 6871 4630 (222m by 468m)|
|Civil Parish||LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
|Civil Parish||MARTINHOE, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- None recorded
Record last edited
Mar 21 2018 11:57AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.