MEM23977 - Luccombe (Place)
Please read the Exmoor National Park Historic Environment Record caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
The historic core of the village has been mapped using historic mapping available to the HER. [1-4] Domesday records that the manor of Locumba (Luccombe) was held by Queen Edith at the time of King Edward and it was then held by Ralph (de Limesi), one of the companions of William the Conqueror at the Norman invasion. The Barony of de Limesi was later divided and Luccombe came into the possession of Henry de Pynkeny. It was administered by the de Lucumes from as early as 1200 (if not earlier) until it was passed to the St John family in 1333, before passing to the Arundells in c.1477, then the Wentworths, from whom it passed to the Aclands in 1802, when it was received by Sir Thomas Dyke Acland, the 7th Baronet, under the conditions of the will of William Wentworth. Their estate was passed to the National Trust in 1944 and the latter own nearly all of the village as part of the Holnicote Estate.  Further information on the settlement is given in the 2003 and 2018 Conservation Area Appraisals. The Conservation Area encompasses the historic core of the village that forms part of the Holnicote Estate, made over to the National Trust in 1944. The village is notable for its collection of traditional Exmoor cottages in the local vernacular style, many of which have cream or yellow coloured limewash and thatched roofs. The National Trust Vernacular Buildings Survey carried out in the 1990s demonstrated that a good proportion of these originated in the late middle ages as farmhouses. Other notable buildings are the 13th century parish church, the manor house at Wychanger and the substantial former rectory behind high garden walls. There are also examples of late 19th century estate architecture dating from Sir Thomas Dyke Acland’s ownership of the estate, at the former school (now village hall) and Glebe cottage/ School House. In the 2018 Appraisal, it was suggested that the boundary be altered to include the former school garden, and to exclude the field south of Luccombe Knapp.[6,7]
- <1> SSO292 Map: Collard Cox, W.. 1841. Luccombe Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1854-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. County Series; 2nd Edition (1st Revision) 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM7989 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2013. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM8530 Monograph: Haw, G.. 2001. The book of Luccombe & Selworthy: A pictorial history of the parishes. Horner Mill Services. 1st Edition. 9.
- <6> SEM6950 Report: Fisher, J.. 2003. Luccombe Conservation Area Character Appraisal. Exmoor National Park Authority.
- <7> SEM8694 Report: Pratt, N. and Thurlow, T.. 2018. Luccombe Conservation Area: appraisal document. Exmoor National Park Authority.
- <8> SEM7509 Monograph: Turner, W.J.. 1947. Exmoor Village. Harrap.
External Links (0)
- Local Heritage List Status (Unassessed)
- Local Plan - Historic Core: Luccombe
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9104 4454 (409m by 646m)|
|Civil Parish||LUCCOMBE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
Related Articles (1)
Record last edited
Oct 4 2022 10:04AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.