MEM23931 - Methodist Chapel north of Heasley Mill (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A building is shown on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map at SS 7381 3229. It is rectangular, built facing the road to the southeast with a small porch in the centre of the main elevation. It is labelled as a Wesleyan Methodist Chapel.  The site is shown as a clear plot on the North Molton Tithe Map.  The building is still marked on 2017 MasterMap data but is labelled as disused.  Heasley Mill Chapel was built in 1867 when the population was increased by an active mining community.  "Methodist Chapel" shown on 6 inch 1906 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey map and 1963 map. [5,6]
- <1> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <2> SEM7405 Map: 1841. North Molton Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <3>XY SEM8512 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2017. MasterMap. [Mapped feature: #43946 Extent of chapel on modern mapping, ]
- <4> SEM8646 Monograph: Layley, C.G.. c.1980. A short history of the parish church of All Saints, North Molton. Unknown.
- <5> SEM7223 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1892-1906. County Series, 2nd Edition 6 Inch Map. 1:10560. 1906, 15NW.
- <6> SEM7608 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1963. 6 Inch Map: 1963.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 7382 3229 (17m by 16m)|
|Historic Parish||NORTH MOLTON|
|Civil Parish||NORTH MOLTON, NORTH DEVON, DEVON|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- Devon SMR Monument ID: 30858
- Devon SMR: SS73SW/45
- Exmoor National Park HER Number (now deleted): MDE21028
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 11:52AM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.