MEM23870 - Deans Linhay, East Lynch (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
A linhay is depicted on the Timberscombe Tithe Map with an associated small enclosure. They are labelled 73, which the accompanying Apportionment describes as "Barn and Court", part of East Lynch, owned by Sir Thomas Dyke Acland Bart. and occupied by William Clarke.  The 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map shows an empty enclosure in this location. It is not clear whether this is an error or if the original building had been removed. The field boundary partition which doglegged around the structure had also been removed by this time.  By the time the 2nd Edition Map was surveyed, the enclosure is shown with a barn occupying its northern end, apparently in the same position as that shown on the Tithe Map.  A single storey 5 bay linhay which once had four round front piers supporting the single pitch roof; there are now only 4. The side and rear walls are rubble stone. The ramains of the enclosed court can be seen. The land was glebe land,part of a small holding of four fields known as Dean's Ground on the 1809-12 Holnicote Estate Survey. It is not known whether this is a corruption of Dane's.  The building is shown on the 2018 MasterMap data but is not labelled. 
- <1> SEM7912 Map: 1843. Timberscombe Parish Tithe Map and Apportionment.
- <2>XY SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500. [Mapped feature: #43829 ]
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM6873 Report: Richardson, I.. 2001. Holnicote Estate Archaeological Survey: Part 2.
- <5> SEM8545 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2018. MasterMap.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9274 4687 (17m by 19m)|
|Civil Parish||SELWORTHY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
Record last edited
Aug 17 2020 12:17PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.