MEM23822 - Wootton Knowle Farm, Wootton Courtenay (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A farmstead is shown on the Tithe Map for Wootton Courtenay. Labelled "Knowle", includes a farmhouse at SS 9308 4430 and three farm buildings, at SS 9305 4427, SS 9306 4429 and SS 9307 4431. The group is arranged around a courtyard, with two small parcels of land to the east and southwest depicted filled with trees (there are other small enclosures within the farmstead area). The yard is labelled 178 and the orchards 179 (southwestern) and 180 (eastern). The accompanying Apportinment states that these form part of the lands at Knowle, owned by The Right Honorable Lord Sherborne and John Sidefin, occupied by Thomas Siderfin. They are described as follows: 178 - House, garden, barn and barton; 179 - Back Orchard (Orchard); 180 - Little Orchard (Orchard).  The farmstead is shown in a similar layout on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map, although the smallest farm building (at SS 9307 4431) had been removed by this point and it is possible that the remaining buildings may have been subject to some small alterations. Little Orchard had also been much reduced in size (if not removed). This layout is repeated on the 2nd Edition map. Both maps label the property "Wootton Knowle". [2,3] Since the 2nd Edition map was surveyed, the farm building at SS 9306 4429 appears to have been extended to the northwest and Back Orchard also appears to have been removed, including the enclosure in which it was situated. However, the farmhouse and two remaining farm buildings appear to be little altered in plan form.  The farmstead was visited in February 1997 as part of the Exmoor Farmsteads survey. The main house was thought to have been originally of a three room plan and built across quite steep contours. It was suggested that the wing and southwest end may date to c.1900, although it was not stated why. The yard was noted to be on the lower end of the house, separated by a change of level confining it and making it somewhat irregular. Only two farm buildings were noted to remain; a large 19th Century barn, which had recently been repaired and reslated, and a smaller, possibly coeval linhay on timber posts. A 20th Century shed was noted to be situated immediately behind the linhay. The farmhouse and two farm buildings were suggested to be of listable quality.  Wootton Knowle Farm was part of the Wootton Courtenay Estate and was sold at auction by James Huntly Dutton on Wednesday 14th April 1921, as lot 2. A picture of the farmstead is shown in the sales particulars. 
- <1> SSO718 Map: 1844. Wootton Courtenay Tithe Map and Apportionment. Land parcels 178-180.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8322 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2016. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 290.
- <6> SEM8578 Monograph: Ball, D.. 2007. Wootton Courtenay. Peter Ball. 15, illustration 17.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9309 4427 (146m by 140m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||WOOTTON COURTENAY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
|Historic Parish||WOOTTON COURTNEY|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (2): 290
Record last edited
Aug 18 2020 1:40PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.