MEM23788 - Slowley Farm (Building)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (1)
- None recorded
A farmstead is shown on the Tithe Map for Luxborough at SS 9994 3816, with the Parish boundary abutting the northeastern end of the site. This includes a farmhouse at SS 9992 3815, with outbuildings at SS 9993 3816, SS 9995 3819 and SS 9995 3816 and a pond at SS 9993 3814. The group are labelled 81, which the accompanying Apportionment describes as the farmhouse for East Slowley and Slowley Hill, owned by Sir John Trevelyan (Baronet) and occupied by Robert Turner.  By the time the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map had been surveyed, the existing buildings had been subject to some extension (especially that at SS 9995 3819, to the southwest) but mostly appear to be in their original plan form. The pond is also again shown. The site is now labelled "Slowley Farm".  The arrangement described for  is again shown on the 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey map.  Since the 2nd Edition map was published, the site has been subject to further development to the northeast, with several larger modern agricultural buildings constructed on the Withycombe side of the parish boundary and a bungalow sited at SS 9989 3813, to the southwest of the farmstead. The farmhouse has also been extended to the northwest.  The site was visited in March 1997 as part of the Exmoor Farmsteads Survey. The group was described as a remarkably unrestored establishment overlooking a wonderful view. The house was said to be "simple and delightful", possibly a mid 17th Century two room and through passage plan with a front wing off the kitchen (west) end added later in the Century. A blocked 17th Century oak mullioned window was also noted in the eastern gable. The farm buildings were noted to be arranged up a steep and stony slope to form a large informal yard subdivided by its levels. A threshing barn was described as "very good" and thought to be 17th Century in date. Also, a reputed stable (now cow shed) was also thought to be early, with a granary and other 19th Century buildings and a nice tin Dutch barn. In front of the house was noted a walled sheep dip or pond. 
- <1> SSO294 Map: 1843. Luxborough Tithe Map and Apportionment. Land parcel 81.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM8322 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2016. MasterMap.
- <5> SEM6996 Report: Schofield, J.. 1997. Exmoor Farmsteads: An evaluation of old steadings within Exmoor National Park. Farm reference 349.
|Grid reference||Centred SS 9993 3814 (67m by 111m) (Historic mapping)|
|Civil Parish||LUXBOROUGH, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (1)
Related Events/Activities (1)
External Links (0)
- Exmoor Farmsteads Survey 1996-1997 (1): 349
Record last edited
Feb 21 2017 4:39PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.