MEM23787 - Post-medieval cottages southwest of Golsoncott Cottage (Monument)
Please read the caveat document.
Type and Period (2)
- None recorded
The Tithe Map for Old Cleeve shows two rectangular buildings arranged in an L shape, at ST 0265 3903 (running north to south) and ST 0264 3902 (running east to west). They are each situated in a small plot of land and labelled 916 (northeastern) and 918 (southwestern), with various other plots of land associated. The house labelled 916 is shown straddling a stream running through the site. The accompanying Apportionment document describes these as follows; Owned by William James, occupied by Mary Burton: 916 (ST 0265 3903)- Cottage and Garden; 915 (ST 0264 3908)- Garden; Owned by William James, occupied by John Thresher: 918 (ST 0264 3902)- Cottage and Garden; 917 (ST 0265 3901)- Garden; 914a (ST 0261 3904)- Garden; 921 (ST 0251 3904)- Garden.  The houses are still depicted on the 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map but much of the subdivision of land shown on the Tithe Map appears to have been removed by this point.  By the time the 2nd Edition map was surveyed, the northeastern property appears to have been demolished.  The house is still shown on the 1946-8 aerial photographs taken by the Royal Air Force.  The houses are no longer extant. 
- <1> SEM7922 Map: Ham, R.. 1839. Old Cleeve Tithe Map and Apportionment. Land parcels 914a, 915-8, 921.
- <2> SEM6703 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1868-1901. County Series; 1st Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <3> SEM7190 Map: Ordnance Survey. 1902-1907. County Series, 2nd Edition 25 Inch Map. 1:2500.
- <4> SEM6707 Aerial photograph: Royal Air Force. 1946 -1948. Vertical Aerial Photography.
- <5> SEM8322 Map: Ordnance Survey. 2016. MasterMap.
|Grid reference||Centred ST 0259 3904 (195m by 99m) (Historic mapping)|
|Historic Parish||OLD CLEEVE|
|Civil Parish||OLD CLEEVE, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET|
Related Monuments/Buildings (0)
Related Events/Activities (0)
External Links (0)
- None recorded
Record last edited
Mar 28 2018 3:02PM
Your feedback is welcome. If you can provide any new information about this record, please contact us.